Tuesday 20 March 2012

St Cuthbert


St Cuthbert's Feast Day seems the best of days to begin a Blog inspired by Celtic Spirituality. The island which was home and refuge and healing place to Cuthbert 1400 years ago is still a sacred space; whether for dedicated pilgrims or mainland refugees seeking peace and quiet. The promontory in the poem juts out from the tiny islet where Cuthbert found some solitude in his early ministry. So much to say about Cuthbert, Lindisfarne and the legacy of the Celts - here's a start - 



Cuthbert's Isle

Held in the palm of Your holy place
Fled from the gravity of daily life.
I perch on sun-warmed rock.
Heavy honeyed air is
Stirred by ancient breezes.
Almost beyond hearing
Seals sing Jacob’s mantra
‘Here I am’.

Poised on the promontory of faith
Sun and wind send their might against me.
And I stand, not bowed but exulted.
Fused to this place.
Sun Spirit,
Air Spirit,
Earth Spirit
Glorious Trinity of all You are.

Your breath on me is intoxicating, incisive,
Eroding pretence and artifice.
Leaving me standing bare boned
Before You.
Eyes closed against your crimson gaze.
Daughter to the island,
Sister to those gone before.
Here I am.

wordinthehand2012

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Mairie. I had been hoping that you would do this. May the Spirit be with you in this always.+x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you started this. Thank you! What a blessing for us all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both - Spirit's blessing with us all.

    ReplyDelete